In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Ste. Agathe Historical Society

Notre Dame de la Sagesse Convent bell, St. Agatha, ca. 1910

Contributed by Ste. Agathe Historical Society
MMN Item 18521 Item Details
Notre Dame de la Sagesse Convent bell, St. Agatha, ca. 1910
MMN Item 18521 Zoom

Description

The Notre Dame de la Sagesse Convent Chapel bell hung by the middle entrance door of the chapel. It had a number of uses. The bell served as a calling card for the sisters. Different rings or combination of rings meant Reverend Mother wanted to see a certain individual. The ring of the bell also alerted residents to certain gatherings or services held in the chapel.

In 1968, when the convent was demolished, Sister Christine Doucette saved the chapel bell and gave it to her niece, Bernadette Doucette Meunier, in Ellington, Connecticut. Thirty-seven years later the chapel bell found its way back to St. Agatha and the Ste-Agathe Historical Society.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.